Monday 9 March 2009

Bunny Love

Chi-Chi was born in early April four years ago. I remember this time in my life so vividly, as if it were just last week. It was the “year of the bunnies” around these parts. As I sat in my bed nursing my newborn son, I would count bunnies on the front lawn. At any given moment, one might spot five or six of these furry little friends, munching happily on tender green grass. Every time I come across a bunny, I think of this special time in my life and the birth of my firstborn “bunny”.

So, needless to say, I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for bunnies. With Chi-Chi’s birthday and Easter coming up in a month or so, I’ve got bunnies on the brain. I’ve been working on a couple of cuddly felted rabbits on behalf of the Easter Bunny himself. Call me traditional, but there is just something appropriate about giving the gift of a stuffed bunny at Easter. This Fiber Trends pattern was incredibly easy to follow, but it did require a certain level of concentration to keep track of where I was. I'm a novice knitter so I was new to "short rows". It was a great “after hours” project with the kiddies in bed. This suited me just fine as I was working in secrecy anyway! I used Lamb’s Pride worsted yarn for both bunnies and stuffed them with soft wool fleece. I considered tucking a sachet of lavender in their bellies to enhance the calming effect of these cuddly creatures, but decided against it at the last minute. I’ve encountered one too many cases of the stomach flu recently and decided it would be best to keep these little guys as “wash friendly” as possible!

I always witness the felting process with such amazement. The before and after shots of our friend Peter Rabbit are quite shocking. The pre-felted, pre-stuffed bunny was actually somewhat disturbing to me, eerily resembling road kill, as opposed to the soft cuddly companion I had envisioned!

And they call it "Bunny Love"...

No comments: