Wednesday 18 February 2009

Oh Deer!

The boys and I have been working with numbers a fair bit lately. Chi-Chi in particular has been counting everything in sight. For the past couple of weeks, a mama deer and her three young ones have been frequent visitors on our property. In fact, they are with us so often the novelty has worn off for all of us. Needless to say, when Chi-Chi started counting deer the other day, I didn’t exactly set down my tea and jump from my chair. I did, however, become a tad skeptical when his tally reached the number seven. Wow! That classifies as a herd in my books! I was lucky enough to snap a shot of all seven of our visitors. Of course, I’m all “lovey dovey” about our little friends while the snow is on the ground. Come spring, I’ll be out there in my gardening boots, trying desperately to outsmart them with some crazy “Deer Defense System”. I’ve yet to find a solution to the annual massacre of my tulips!

In keeping with the counting theme, I came up with a fun activity for the wee ones that also benefited Mommy. How I love “win, win” activities as I like to refer to them. I’m sure I’m not the only one out there with a bucket of pennies gathering dust in the closet. To be honest, it’s a bucket of pennies, nickels and dimes. I’m not sure when nickels and dimes were demoted to the “worthless pot” but sadly that is the attitude around here. It appears that quarters are still considered “valuable” as I could not find one in the whole bunch! I pulled out the coin rolling tubes and put the monkeys to work rolling money. Not only was this a great counting exercise, but it also tied in a bit of Montessori work through the sorting aspect. Chi-Chi and Muffy were paid for all their hard work and will be making a trip to the bank tomorrow to deposit their pennies into their savings accounts.

Now if I could only get that little Muffy to count sheep at night.....we could all get some sleep around here!!

No comments: