Monday 20 August 2007

A Visit from the Wool Fairy


My little guy Chi-Chi was greeted by a present from the “Wool Fairy” this morning. A perfect little woolen strawberry was resting on his pillow when he awoke from his sweet dreams. Despite being plagued by the effects of chronic lack of sleep and caffeine overdose, the “Wool Fairy” of Seaside Farms worked into the wee hours of the morning to create this little masterpiece.

Over the last couple of months, I have been searching for more natural and aesthetically pleasing items to place in our family’s toy box. The recent recalls in the toy industry have further fuelled my quest to find options that are made of natural, non-toxic materials. I have experienced a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment in crafting some of these toys myself. This has been a bit of a challenge considering I have two small children at home, but the benefits are well worth it.

I recently became interested in learning how to crochet. I came across a wonderful book that included patterns for play food, which happens to be one of my weaknesses! Amigurumi – Super Happy Crochet Cute by Elisabeth Doherty includes a number of adorable patterns ranging from carrots to cupcakes to bunny rabbits. My friend’s mother, who is a master at the art of crochet, whipped up a bunch of carrots for me last week. They are simply gorgeous! The carrots and strawberries were all made with 100% wool, including the stuffing. They are beautiful, natural, environmentally friendly and made with love. What more can one ask for in a toy? It certainly beats lead paint and plastic parts that can poison our children and will eventually end up in a landfill.

As I write, Chi-Chi is busy in his kitchen, carefully cooking up a batch of carrot soup and strawberry jam for this morning’s snack. Sounds delicious!

`

No comments: