Thursday 30 August 2007

Sappy Over Nappies


This may sound rather peculiar, but I actually classify “cloth diapering” as one of my hobbies. Some might conclude from this statement that I have slipped into a delusional state, triggered by the exhaustion and lack of sleep that accompanies mothering two busy young boys. They would be mistaken. My love and appreciation for cloth diapers is both genuine and enduring!

Long before Chi-Chi was even a tiny zygote in my belly, I realized cloth diapers would grace the bums of my unborn children. A good friend of mine introduced me to the wonderful world of cloth diapering. There was really no convincing required. Cloth was the only option that seemed logical from many different perspectives.

From an environmental point of view, choosing cloth over disposables is a no-brainer. Going the cloth route undeniably adheres to the principle of “Reduce-Reuse-Recycle”. I wash and reuse my sheets and dishes, why wouldn’t I adopt the same approach with my diapers? The frugal accountant in me also relishes the cost savings associated with cloth diapers. Our family will likely save a few thousand dollars by the time Muffy graduates to underpants. As a mommy, a chief concern of mine is the health of my children. I can’t help but feel concerned and skeptical about the materials and chemicals used to produce disposable diapers.

Many parents don’t realize the cloth diapering options that are currently available. Great Granny would no doubt be shocked by the fashionable attire today’s tiniest bums are sporting. Chi-Chi and Muffy are huge Fuzzi Bunz fans. These soft, fleece-lined nappies are super comfy and are available in a rainbow of fun colors. They are just plain cute! Luckily, cloth diapers are increasing in popularity and are becoming more readily available. A good friend of mine sells Fuzzi Bunz locally, along with many other beautiful and unique cloth diapering and natural parenting products. Check her out at www.nurtured.ca.

I realize that my cloth diapering days are numbered. Chi-Chi has been demonstrating a keen interest in the potty lately that I cannot deny. A few weeks ago, I purchased him a few pairs of underwear and he gleefully performed the “Underpants Dance” around the kitchen table. I tear came to my eye and a lump formed in my throat. Someday, in the not-so-distant future, I will run my last load of Fuzzi Bunz through my workhorse of a washer. It will be with a heavy heart that I pack up my beloved nappies and send them off to a new and worthy home. Until then, I will treasure each trip to the change table as a chance to tickle a soft bum, nibble a tiny toe and sing a soft rhyme to a dear little heart. Sniff....Sniff.....

No comments: