Sunday 3 April 2011

Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dogs' Tails...

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I'm on a bit of a science kick lately! It must surely have something to do with spring fever. As the world around us wakes up from a long winter snooze, there are so many interesting and exciting things going just outside the front door. Perhaps Chi-Chi and Muffy are the ones leading the charge on this one. As they spend more time outdoors, they are asking tons of questions and noticing tiny details such as the tulips poking up and the increased activity at the bird feeder.

I'm super excited about the latest "science project" we've undertaken. Friday was a day off from school so my sister came to visit with her two boys. She and my nephews brought us a few presents - tadpoles they collected from a pond near them home! It's hard to believe, but she's been raising her tadpoles all winter in an aquarium. Apparently, they are green frog tadpoles, which take about two years to develop into adult frogs. With four boys in the house, the tadpoles didn't get much attention. There was a serious amount of boyish action going on! Now that the house has quieted down, Chi-Chi and Muffy have had some time to get acquainted with these new friends. They really are fascinating to watch and study and I find myself drawn to them. Once they are grown and developed, we will release them back to nature, in the pond they originated from. Big sister also supplied me with some water plants for them to eat. Apparently our little friends feed on algae that grows on these plants. I'm relying on her expertise, since she's the one who studied marine biology and not accounting!

Thanks again Big Sis -for both the tadpoles and the visit! I was thinking today how lucky I am to have my sister and my parents so close by, despite the fact we grew up in Northern New Brunswick. In fact, my husband's parents and siblings also live very close...his brother just down the street. In this day and age, the stars don't align very often for this to occur. Our children are so fortunate to grow up truly knowing their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. So lucky indeed! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: