Tuesday 12 May 2009

A Little One-On-One

When Chi-Chi, our firstborn, entered the world one sunny spring day, the gears and focus quickly shifted in our household. Like any first baby, he became the center of our universe and was showered with endless love and attention. When sweet little Muffy arrived on the scene a mere seventeen months later, the gears shifted once again as we struggled to divide our time fairly between two pretty demanding little ones. Although Muffy received tons of cuddles and attention, the simple mathematical laws of division did not allow for the same amount of one-on-one time Chi-Chi had enjoyed. I was always operating in a mode of double duty.

Two and a half years later, the tables have turned.  It is finally Muffy’s turn for some quality one-on-one time with Mommy! With Chi-Chi off to his wonderful preschool two days a week, I’m able to focus my attention solely on Muffy. As precious as those first few months of life are, I’m starting to think that perhaps the second child gets a sweeter deal. This of course is coming from the mouth of a second child! Number two gets a dose of Mommy's undivided attention during the preschool years, such an incredibly fascinating time for both parent and child. Muffy is a little sponge these days and  his language is developing so beautifully. He constantly amazes me with his curiosity, memory and enthusiasm for nature and animals (bugs and ducks in particular). The arrival of spring has given us a wonderful opportunity to bond. I’ve been enjoying our quiet dates in the garden twice a week. Today I planted a few rows while Muffy marveled at his worm collection. We talked, laughed and played in a way we simply don’t do when Chi-Chi is present. Don’t get me wrong! I miss my little Chi-Chi, but I am cherishing these special days with sweet Muffy!

Speaking of gardening, I’ve been chomping at the bit to get my veggie garden started. Unlike other parts of the globe, it’s a wee early to plant most seeds in our parts. The month of May around here is most often filled with cold rain and dreary fog – not ideal conditions for seed germination. I did plant some spinach and Swiss chard to get the ball rolling. To be quite truthful, I think I was more excited to put my new little row markers to use! I found this idea on a blog somewhere “out there”. I’ve searched and searched and simply cannot find the incredibly talented mama who came up with idea! I’d love to give credit where credit is due so please let me know if you’ve seen this before. Anyway, I used some cedar shingles we had left over from the chicken coop project. I cut out the simple shapes with my scroll saw and did a quick sand job. Since they are to be used outdoors, I used permanent markers for the designs and slapped on a quick coat of beeswax. I did up a lovely set of these for my mom for Mother’s Day and she was quite tickled with them!

Ok, I do have a confession to make. Muffy did spend a small amount of time “cooped up” so to speak while I worked in the garden. Our chicken coop is still vacant as we eagerly await the arrival of our chicks. Muffy LOVES playing in the run and coop! It’s a great place to explore and play make-believe. I admit to enjoying his short stint in the “outdoor playpen” as I like to refer to it. It was purely his choice! Yes, lots of one-on-one time with Mommy, but also some moments of solitude and daydreaming for Muffy as well this morning.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I think you probably saw them on monkey lobster! Such a cute idea ... yours look great as well! Here's the link - http://lobstermonkey.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/garden-markers.html

Madame Melville said...

Aha! That's it! Monkey Lobster....now it is all coming back to me. Thank you so much for remembering for me. I love her blog!!