Sunday 30 November 2008

A Beautiful Day in Beautiful Mahone Bay...

I’m a bit of a homebody so I usually stick pretty close to Seaside Farms on the weekends. I enjoy the simplicity and predictability of our weekend routines, which usually include banana pancakes, puttering in the yard, a few runs for myself and some surf sessions for hubby. Every now and then, however, I get a case of cabin fever and an itch for fresh surroundings.

Yesterday was one of those days! We packed up the family mobile and hit the road for the picture perfect town of Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. This weekend was the kick off to their annual Father Christmas Festival so this quaint little town was buzzing with energy and activity. We met up with my good friend April and her family at the South Shore Waldorf School to take in some of the activities of their annual Christmas Festival. We had such a wonderful time at this event last year, we vowed to return! I appreciated an opportunity to pick up a few handmade toys for Chi-Chi and Muffy at the craft sale. Two sweet little knitted piglets are going to make great additions to the farmyard that is currently under construction by Santa and Mrs. Claus. The kids enjoyed an enchanting puppet show as well as the opportunity to do some of their own Christmas shopping at the “children’s store”. What a sweet idea for the little ones. I purchased three tickets for 50 cents each so that Chi-Chi could go shopping in the store. No adults were allowed behind the curtained off area. The little store contained a wide selection of sweet handmade treasures for the little ones to choose from. Poor Muffy missed out as he zonked out on Daddy’s lap during the puppet show. I guess he wasn’t that enchanted by the show after all!

We finished off our visit with some time in the school’s play ground area and then headed back to Mahone Bay. After a quick bite to eat we luckily got a chance to tour the town by horse and wagon. By far, this was the highlight of Chi-Chi and Muffy’s day.

Snuggled into their car seats with a generous supply of milk, the kiddies drifted off to sleep while Hubby and I enjoyed the relaxing, QUIET drive back home. What a perfect way for our family to get in the Christmas spirit and kick off the holiday season!

2 comments:

Good Things I Find said...

I live in Ontario and had the pleasure of visiting Mahone Bay in the summer of 2007. My daughters especially enjoyed the candy store.

How fortunate you are to live so close to seashore.

Madame Melville said...

It certainly is a picture-perfect little town!! I am lucky to live just an hour way, though I dream of living 2 minutes away!