Monday 10 September 2007

At Tisket, A Tasket

As a concerned citizen of the planet Earth, I make a concerted effort to reduce the amount of waste produced by our household. Although each step often feels like a grain of sand in the Sahara, I remain persistent. Recently, our two major grocery chains launched campaigns promoting the use of reusable shopping bags. I am pleased with this sign of progress and with the message being delivered. Such changes in attitude give us all hope that the concepts of waste reduction are becoming more and more mainstream. Practices once reserved for “granola types” are now becoming commonly accepted.

Our family owns a sizeable stash of cotton shopping bags that serves us well on our weekly trips to the supermarket. I always keep a small supply on hand in the trunk of the car so they are conveniently available when needed. Until recently, I’d never given much thought to these shopping bags beyond their utilitarian value.

As Mom and I prepared for our visit to a local farmers’ market last weekend, I noticed she was toting the most handsome basket. This lovely, large basket, with its pleasing round shape, was simply begging to be filled with freshly harvested fruits and veggies. I was truly amazed at the vast amount of farm-fresh goodies she was able to cram into her shopping basket. Mom’s attractive basket seemed to enhance the richness of our market experience. Browsing amongst the vendor stands with a basket on your arm is somehow both a nostalgic and romantic experience. Luckily, I was able to pick up one of these beautiful baskets for myself during my visit to the Annapolis Valley. I even discovered a matching one for Chi-Chi so he can share in the market experience!

A tisket, a tasket, I love my new basket! It is a fun alternative to my drab cotton bags and is also a great way to incorporate a touch of beauty into my weekly chore of stocking the family’s cupboards!

No comments: