Friday 22 August 2008

Takin' Care of Business

The Wool Fairy’s studio has been bustling with activity over the last month. After much thought, I finally decided to take the plunge and start selling my little woolen creations.

Just over a year ago, I embarked on a quest to seek out beautiful and natural toys for my little ones. My readings on the Montessori and Waldorf approaches helped me realize that a child’s environment and playthings deserve the same attention, care and aesthetic considerations that we adults grant ourselves. I decided to take matters into my own hands and began creating toys for my children. I was astounded and very pleased with the results. Chi-Chi and Muffy were drawn to my handmade items. My simple offerings sparked their imaginations and provided the inspiration for hours of creative play. As a bonus, I learned a number of great new skills including crochet, knitting, felting and some very basic woodworking!

My wool produce creations quickly became a favorite in our household. Late at night, I would tiptoe into Chi-Chi’s bedroom and slip a tiny treasure under his pillow. His eyes would widen with amazement each morning as he discovered the special gift left behind by The Wool Fairy.

Despite the fact that Chi-Chi and Muffy’s play kitchen is overflowing with every fruit and veggie imaginable, I found myself simply unable to stop making the stuff! I saw this as an opportunity to share my creations with other little ones.

My goodies are available at Nurtured Products for Parenting. I’ve got some great fruit and veggie sets for sale, as well as crocheted cozies designed specifically for Klean Kanteens and glass bottles. These are a must in my house! They keep little hands warm and dry and they save my dear hardwood floors from yet another dent!

Staying true to my passion for wool and natural products, all the items are handcrafted with 100% wool and are stuffed with clean raw fleece. The wooden pint baskets included with some of the sets are made in Nova Scotia as well. I picked them up at Webster Farms in the Annapolis Valley, just a hop, skip and a jump from where my Dad houses is airplane!

I’d like to thank my dear husband and Nurturedmom for providing so much support and encouragement in this endeavor. I’d also like to thank Chi-Chi and Muffy for the inspiration they provide me each and every day and for the magic they have brought to my life!

No comments: