Friday 13 April 2012

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not...He LOVES Me!

A few friends recently commented on my absence from this space! All is well in our neck of the woods. I found myself in a bit of a hibernation mode this past winter, focusing more on the practical aspects of day to day life, rather than creative endeavours.



With Spring in full swing, I'm feeling inspired on many fronts - mainly my garden. My good friend Michelle introduced me to Niki Jabbour's fabulous new book, The Year Round Vegetable Gardener. I'm not sure my poor husband is sharing in my enthusiasm for the book. It's the middle of tax season, and being an accountant, it goes without saying that he is one busy man. For the past few weeks I have been dropping "hints" that I really, REALLY need some help building a cold frame and mini hoop tunnel. He either really, REALLY loves me, or just wants me to stop talking about all my "plans" that involve his construction skills. He built me a lovely cold frame a couple of weeks ago and tonight we tackled the frame of the tunnel.

I've got very high hopes for this garden of mine in the coming months. I attended Seedy Saturday at the Wolfville Farmer's market last weekend and went a little nutty picking out seeds from both Annapolis Seeds and Hope Seeds. I'm actually giddy thinking about all the delicious veggies that will soon be coming our way. I keep reminding Hubby that once he tastes the first home-grown salad of the season, all his work (and all his listening to me talk, talk, talk) will be well worth it!

While I "patiently" wait for my tunnel to be ready for planting, I decided to finish up a project I've been picking away at for months. I dug out the knitting basket and in no time I had myself a new sweater. I actually sewed up the last of the loose ends this morning so I could wear it to my sister's birthday lunch! It is the Annabel Cardigan from Quince and Co. and I am IN LOVE with it. Although I've had great success knitting for the wee ones, I tend to find knitting for myself a bit more challenging in terms of fit and style. This sweater is a perfect fit. In fact, I've decided my wardrobe needs another one in green. What makes it so rewarding is that I dyed the yarn using goldenrod Chi-Chi and Muffy picked from our property. It's such a beautiful sunny hue.

What "spring fever" projects are you working on these days?? I'm always looking for new ideas!



7 comments:

Gardeningbren said...

Niki's book is sensational. Your hoop house looks great, similar to mine without the ocean view ;-)

Madame Melville said...

Thanks for the note and for stopping by! I'm super excited to get my tunnel up and running.

Madame Melville said...

Thanks for the note and for stopping by! I'm super excited to get my tunnel up and running.

Michelle Cleary said...

Wow, great job on the tunnel! Mine is growing so much in the greens department right now! I am dreaming and planning that new space like crazy right now. Here's to more home grown food this year! Well done Friend!

Anastasia Akasha Kaur said...

Yay! You're back! Your hoops are looking good! I too am in love with Nikki's book (like the rest of Nova Scotian's I think)...we finally got some soil for our cold frame this week and so I am eagerly awaiting the first sprouts to appear. The sweater looks fantastic, you've inspired me to check out Quince and Co....they have great patterns....
Anastasia

Madame Melville said...

Thanks for all the kind words on the tunnel. There is still work to be done in securing it and getting it covered...and planted of course. Lots to look forward to in the coming months.

The sweater pattern is very very easy! It is garter stitch for the body and the sleeves are knit in the round so there is some purling there. Quince and Co does have lots of nice patterns. I shy away from things that look too complicated for me, but this sweater really is easy peasy and mindless (right up my alley)

Sherrie said...

Glad to see you're back! The sweater looks great, and I can't wait to see how your garden grows. :)