Friday 1 October 2010

My Not So Empty Nest

With the month of October knocking on my door, I cannot help but feel nostalgic as I reflect upon the last few months. It has been quite some time since I last visited this space. In fact, since the boys' preschool classes wound down in June, there has not been much time or energy available in my life for "screen time". We all enjoyed a summer of bicycles, beach days, fruit pops and good old fashioned fun.

Fall is in full swing in these parts! We are all busy settling into different rhythms and routines, and adjusting to the new beginnings that go hand in hand with the season. My sweet Chi-Chi boarded that big yellow school bus for the first time this fall. Although over a month has passed, I still find myself wiping away the tears some mornings. It is with mixed emotions that I pack his lunch box and kiss him goodbye each day. I am so proud of him, excited for him, worried for him. I do, however, miss that baby in my arms, those sticky toddler fingers, his never ending scientific inquiries, his near constant presence at my side. It is time for him to try out those wings of his. Sniff, sniff...it is time to change the subject.

Speaking of wings, one recent highlight the entire family rejoiced in was the arrival of new baby chicks! In early August, we noticed some strange behaviour in one of our hens. This behaviour, we soon found out, was broodiness! After waiting not so patiently for twenty days to pass, were were greeted by four of the sweetest little peeping puff balls! Thank goodness I am not a mother hen! I would not be able to handle an empty nest so quickly. Our little fluff balls are now fully-feathered little chickens, racing daringly around the yard and holding their own against Rocky the Rooster and the rest of the flock.

So, I am hoping to get back into my blogging groove as I have missed the creative outlet and the opportunity to share and exchange thoughts and ideas. The kick off of the new school year has me very inspired these days and the boys and I have been up to all sorts of crafty goodness that I hope to share soon!

No comments: